Pottery Quiz 1
This picture depicts a fine example of a Bottle kiln near to my home in Stoke on Trent England. These kilns were used historically to fire the ware over several days using coal as the energy source. Saggars were used to contain the ware and protect it from the gases in the kiln. The kiln man who controlled the firing of the kiln was probably the most important man in the pottery. Much depended on his knowledge to achieve a high quality of product from the kiln. In the fist of the firings the clay is fired to biscuit stage to give it some strength. A second firing is needed to fire the glaze which gives the ware its glassy coating.
At the peak of pottery making in Stoke on Trent there were hundreds of these kilns in operation creating a real smog over the entire city. Now merely a handful of museum buildings exist but also clean air and visibility for miles!
Pottery making has a long and fascinating history. It is full of obscure terms such as Saggars; Lawns and Blungers that are unique to pottery folk. In this quiz you can test your knowledge and learn a little bit more. Why not astound your friends with your new found mastery of pottery language or gloat that you knew it all already?
1. Josiah Wedgwood is famous for making what type of ware?
2. Bone china uses bone as one of its components but what other material is used?
3. China clay is known by what other name?
4. Bone china allows some light to pass through it but what is this called?
5. The kiln used to make pottery in the olden days was called what?
6. A potters lawn is what?
7. A saggar is another term for what?
8. A blunger is another term for what?
9. Porcelain is said to have originated in which country?
10. Shivering is a term used to describe what?
Show me the answers!
Question 1: The correct answer is the Answer 3.
Question 2: The correct answer is Answer 2.
Question 3: The correct answer is Answer 2.
Question 4: The correct answer is Answer 3.
Question 5: The correct answer is Answer 2.
Question 6: The correct answer is Answer 4.
Question 7: The correct answer is Answer 2.
Question 8: The correct answer is Answer 1.
Question 9: The correct answer is Answer 3.
Question 10: The correct answer is Answer 2.
You answered them all right!